Protecting Children and Vulnerable Adults

from Abuse and Neglect

What is abuse?

Abuse is any action that harms another person, that violates a person’s human and civil rights. Abuse can happen in different ways.


Who could abuse?

It might be someone close, such as a partner, family member, friend, carer, or a stranger.


Where can abuse happen?

Abuse can happen anywhere, in places where you should feel safe:-

  • In your own home or someone else’s home.
  • In a carer’s home.
  • At a day centre.
  • In care homes.
  • In hospital.
  • At work.
  • At college.
  • In a public place.


Who should report abuse?

If you think someone is being abused or if you think someone is abusing you, you should tell someone you trust.


Don’t suffer or let another suffer in silence:

tell someone you trust.

Types of abuse

Physical: Hitting, slapping, pushing, kicking or injuring someone or misuse of medication.

Sexual: Rape, sexual assault or pressuring someone into sexual acts they haven’t consented to, don’t understand or feel powerless to refuse.

Emotional: Threats of harm or abandonment, isolation, humiliation, blaming, controlling, intimidation, coercion, harassment, verbal abuse, or withholding services or supportive networks.

Financial or material: Including theft, fraud, misuse of property, possessions, benefits, and deliberate or premeditated mismanagement of finances.

Neglect and acts of omission: Including ignoring medical or physical care needs, failing to provide access to appropriate health, social care or educational services, withholding medication, nutrition or heating.

Discriminatory: Including abuse that is racist, sexist, based on disability or age, other forms of harassment.

Who do you contact if you suspect abuse?

If you suspect abuse it is important that you report your concerns to social services or the police.

If you are worried about your safety, the safety of another adult or child ring Call Derbyshire on 0845 605 8058

If you feel in immediate danger or think someone else may be in immediate danger, dial 999.

Helpline numbers

The Derbyshire Domestic Violence Helpline – 08000 198 668

National 24-hour Domestic Violence helpline – 0800 200 0247

Elder Abuse helpline – 0808 808 8141

ChildLine – 0800 1111

NSPCC – 0808 800 5000.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website