The doctors and staff at The Springs Health Centre strive to deliver high quality patient care at all times and in all areas of contact with the patient or patient’s representative.

We are realistic enough to appreciate that there may be times when a patient is unhappy with the service they have received. Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.

However, if you would prefer to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing (Patient Complaint Form) as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. We are able to provide you with a separate complaints form to register your complaint. (Please ask at reception for this.) Or you can provide this in your own format providing this covers all the necessary aspects.

If you would rather make your complaint verbally then this can also be arranged. Please ring the Reception Manager on 01246 819444 to arrange a suitable time for you to come into the practice and discuss your complaint face to face

 Timescale for Making a Complaint

Whether you wish to complaint verbally or in writing you should make your complaint

Within 12 months of the incident,

Or within 12 months of you discovering that you have a problem, giving as much detail as you can.

Send your written complaint to:

Janina Gawel. Practice Manager. The Springs Health Centre, Recreation Close, Clowne. Derbyshire. S43 4PL

If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the section below.


What we do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within 3 working days, and aim to have looked into the matter within 10 working days. We may contact you again if further information is needed. If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why and to see if there is something we can learn from this.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will provide you with the relevant contact details and procedures of all organisations or provide a co-ordinated response, whichever is deemed most appropriate.

Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

 When our investigations are complete a final response will be sent to you. This will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you are dissatisfied with our response.


 Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it.

Please ask at reception for the Complaints Form which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.


NHS Complaints Procedure

The NHS and Social Care Complaints Procedure is a two stage system. It is recommended that in the first instance all complaints are made directly to your practice, however, if you prefer you can make your complaint via NHS England.

Once the complaint has been investigated locally, if you remain dissatisfied you can direct your complaint to The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman. Please note that once a complaint has been forwarded to The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman their decision is final and you cannot ask NHS England to appeal the decision or reinvestigate the complaint.


If you need help making a complaint

If you need help or assistance in making a complaint you can contact POhWER who can offer you support and guidance:


Tel:0300 456 2370

By email:

By post:   PO Box 14043, Birmingham, B6 9BL


   To make a complaint about other NHS Services

If you have a complaint or concern regarding the treatment you have received in either in hospital or in the community (i.e. district nurses), or with the commissioning (buying) of local services please contact PALS – the Patient Advice and Liaison Service.

Tel: 0800 032 32 35

By email:

By post:   PALS (GEM), Cardinal Square, 10 Nottingham Road, Derby, DE1 3QT


Contact Details:

NHS England

This is the organisation that deals with the commissioning of primary health care services and has replaced the primary care trusts.

Tel: 0300 311 22 33

By post:   NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

By email:

(please write ‘For the attention of the Complaints Manager’ in the subject line.)


Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman

This is an independent body set up to promote improvement in healthcare by assessing how well services are being provided. Their contact details are:

Tel:   0345 0154033

By post:The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP



If you have any further questions regarding making a complaint then please contact our Reception Manager, Allison Sherwin or our Practice Manager, Janina Gawel on 01246 819444

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website